In the 1870s, the Peute was separated from the opposite Kaltehofe, a part of the urban district of Rothenburgsort, by an Elbe cut and thus became an island on the Norderelbe. Located at the centre of Hamburg, the Peute is one of the oldest industrial areas of the Hanseatic city. Since the 1920s, a printing press, a coffee roasting plant and a detergent plant for the public service Großeinkaufs-Gesellschaft Deutscher Consumvereine (Co-operative Wholesale Society for German Consumer Associations) were constructed on this site. The impressive brick buildings of the GEG still exist even today. They are now under a preservation order and are being refurbished for creative occupants, amongst others.
In 1884, Wilhelm Neumann established his shipyard of the same name elsewhere, which was then situated at the Peuter Elbdeich – today’s location of Peute eins – as a shipyard and sawmill from 1919 to 1965. Here, river barges and open barges up to 1,000 tons load capacity were built and overhauled.
Protected by a promontory, the Peute harbour offers moorage for numerous open barges even today.
Later on, the Seacat Schmeding Company was engaged here in the manufacturing of anchor chains. In 2014, Peute eins, situated at the headland of the peninsula between Norderelbe and the Peute harbour, was discovered by the two Riva boat restorers, Jürgen Renken and his colleague Alexander Mühle, after a persistent search for a new business location close to the waterfront and the harbour. Since 1999, Renken has been restoring Riva boats in the Hamburg district of Bahrenfeld.